Learning through experience is the foundation of our kindergarten program.
- All students are provided the opportunity to acquire the foundational reading and math skills using the Abeka phonetic approach to reading and Saxon's concrete to abstract approach in mathematics.
- The class is divided into 4-5 ability groups that rotate through the reading/language arts and math centers daily.
- The instructional center is the hub of the academic morning centers where the teacher directs either the phonics/reading/writing lesson or the math lesson to the level of each group.
- The afternoon centers include but are not limited to: housekeeping, dramatic play, construction and art.
- A monthly science or social studies theme is interwoven into the learning centers.
- Bible is taught daily as well as being integrated into the curriculum and Chapel takes place weekly.
- Whole group teaching time is experienced throughout the day.
- Spanish, music and Creative Movement instruction take place 2-3 times weekly.
- Rest time is limited to a 15 minute brain rest right after lunch
- Field Trips and special event days enhance “learning through experiencing”
- Appropriate classroom behavior habits are taught.
- Age appropriate social skills are developed.
1ST - 2ND GRADE
A solid foundation in language arts and mathematics is the key to a student's success in the primary grades.
- Language arts includes phonics, literature, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, writing and penmanship.
- Math begins with a strong conceptual and concrete focus, designed to progressively teach and continually reinforce abstract concepts.
- Bible is taught daily and integrated into the curriculum.
- Social studies and science provides an opportunity to explore and create interest in God's world.
- Accelerated Reader is used as a bonus to the reading program to challenge the students to improve their reading comprehension along with their oral reading skills.
- Weekly visits to Spanish, art, P.E., music and Chapel enhance the student's basic knowledge.
- Field trips and special theme days complete the school program.
- Text book companies used include: Abeka, Saxon, ACSI, Social Studies Weekly, Bob Jones.
Transitioning from "learning to read" to "reading to learn" is the emphasis of 3rd grade.
- Language arts (reading, grammar, writing, vocabulary and spelling) and math still consume the majority of the day.
- Science and social studies become tested and graded subjects.
- Handling a heavier load of responsibility is the norm.
- Memorization of math addition, subtraction and multiplication facts become critical to future success in math.
- Test taking skills are honed as students are exposed to a variety of evaluation formats.
- Spanish, music, art and P.E. are experienced once or twice a week.
- Chapel is weekly.
- Field trips and special event days complement the experience.
- Text book companies used include: Abeka, Saxon, Bob Jones, Summit Ministries, Wordly Wise, Reading Connections, Zaner-Bloser, Accelerated Reader (AR) and three novels.
4TH - 5TH GRADE
Through a departmental approach, students begin the process of changing classrooms and teachers to prepare for the upcoming middle school years. The students spend equal time with subject-mastered teachers.
- The subjects include: Bible, math, history, science, Language Arts (grammar, writing, vocabulary and literature).
- Study skills and organizational skills are taught throughout this experience.
- Music, P.E., Spanish and art take place twice a week.
- Chapel takes place once a week.
- Field trips and special projects and events add to the educational experience.
- Bi-monthly clubs offer students an opportunity to explore new territory i.e. robotics, drama, chorus, technology, art, craft etc.
- Text book companies used include: Saxon Math & Grammar, Bob Jones Science & Social Studies, Summit Ministries Bible, Wordly Wise Vocabulary, Reading Connections, Bob Jones Reader and 4-5 novels.