Director, Guidance Services
Mrs. Cheryl Burton
As students enter into the middle school years, progress through high school and prepare for college – the guidance office assists them in both a group setting through classroom activities and individual sessions as needed.
Specific classroom guidance sessions are scheduled throughout the year to meet the needs of students at different grade levels. Topics covered include testing preparation, study skills, review of academic progress, social adjustment and requirements for college admission. Each year high school students, review their transcript, complete a checklist of courses required for graduation and college admission, and also review career interest information.
In addition to working with the students in the classroom, a variety of Parent Information Sessions are held throughout the year to complement the classroom guidance sessions. Some of the evening presentations are listed below:
Fall Evening Sessions
- Open House for all Parents to meet the faculty
- New Student and Parent Orientation
- Rising 6th grade Parent and Student Orientation
- College Planning and Application Procedures for Senior Parents
- Testing Preparation and Review of PSAT and PSAT 8/9 with Parents
Spring Evening Sessions
- College and Financial Aid Planning for 11th and 12th grade Parents
- High School Planning Session for rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade Parents
- Adjusting to High School Session for rising 8th and 9th grade Parents
- Challenges of Middle School for rising 6th grade Parents
In the 10th grade, Northwood Academy students have the opportunity to participate in a field trip to South Carolina colleges and universities. Visiting these college campuses (which include public and private institutions) provide our students a unique opportunity to compare institutions and hear directly from an admissions counselor concerning required academic preparation, acceptable test scores and the importance of extra-curricular activities.
To help our students test in the most productive environment, Northwood Academy serves as a Test Center for both The College Board SAT and the college entrance exam ACT.